Bora! Deborah Under Fire For an Inappropriate Analogy Used on the Show
Bo-ra! Deborah is being criticized for the inappropriate analogy used on the show involving the Holocaust.
I can't believe writers came up with this and everyone in the process approved it. out of all the analogies you could've made...ignorance is scary https://t.co/oLm7BjvolL pic.twitter.com/GAfDte3Nzk
— cha ☾ (@cha_chronicles) May 11, 2023
In the said clip, Yoo In Na's character used it as an analogy for taking care of one's appearance
In the Auschwitz concentration camp, where people were dying on top of their excrement, some of them, with half a cup of water, drank half of it and washed their faces with the rest. They even shaved with a piece of glass while using the back of a tray as a mirror. And they survived. Taking care of your appearance and dressing up is a matter of survival. As I am single, I should do something to survive.
International fans were appalled at the insensitivity of mentioning the concentration camp. And fans expressed disappointment.
What a shame I can't support this drama. I really like Yoo In-na, but this ain't it for me.
— Nikki⁷ - Seeing Yoongi in May! Get out of my way! (@Nikkityknack76) May 12, 2023
actually, I'm so mad they had to ruin a perfectly fine script like this. this is so disrespectful. also, someone please tell me waxing ads in magazines in Korea don't actually have this kind of narrative I am deeply concerned
— cha ☾ (@cha_chronicles) May 11, 2023
This is wrong on so many levels😬 I’m definitely skipping this K-drama.
— Dee ⁷ ⟭⟬ ⟬⟭ 🥢 (@DeeTkmz) May 12, 2023
Not just international fans, but Korean viewers also expressed disappointment.
This is repulsive and creepy. WTF was (the writer) thinking?”“Wow…”
“The criticism is justifiable. They (drama) used (the Holocaust) too casually.”
“This drama has a $hit load of weird dialogue.”
“Even if the writer wrote something this insensitive, the drama should have cut it out before filming the scene. Are you telling me no one thought this was problematic?”
“Is the writer not thinking?”
“This is a collaboration between an insensitive write, production team, and actor.”
“Wow, this is really gross.”
“Wow, this is crazy.”
“The writer, director, and production team are hopeless. They proved their ignorance. I hope you guys get cursed out.”
“Why is (the writer) writing without thinking?
I am not surprised by the reactions.
Comments
Post a Comment