A Store Owner's Regret After the Itaewon Tragedy
The recent Itaewon tragedy has brought South Korea in mourning. People are commemorating all the lives lost in the Halloween celebration gone south.
One day after the catastrophe, a business owner who had opened his doors so that the victims might flee the suffocating crowd showed up in the little passageway bearing food and candles in memory of the dead.
He laid out a mat, laid out the food, kneeled and offered a prayer for all the deceased. But a policeman restricted the man from being in the scene of the accident. The old man protested saying,
Don't do this. You need to let me do at least this. This is where the accident happened, I should at least offer the kids food before they pass over. Please don't do this. Please leave it.
More policemen came to prevent the old man from being in the alleyway, but in the end, the store owner cried his heart out in sorrow for all the young lives lost in the tragedy. He regrets not saving more.
The policemen were next seen crying alongside the old man and was no longer restricting him.
Many have broken down while watching the video and are commenting,
The elderly man just wanted to offer up a meal to all the young people who lost their lives, and he also saved so many by allowing people to enter his store. I can't stop crying,
My tears won't stop. As a parent, this pains my heart too; I hope all the young kids who are like our children rest in peace,
I just played the video without thinking now I am crying so hard on the train. The store owner is so warm-hearted, and I am so sad for all the lives that were lost.
It's sadder to see the elderly man and the police crying together.
Watch the tearful encounter here.
_________________
Comments
Post a Comment